Posts Tagged 'problem'

Programming attiny85 with Arduino Uno

This is just a short post about how I finally, after considerable troubleshooting, got my attiny85 programmed. I followed the High-Low Tech guide for programming my attiny85 with the Arduino Uno. However when I tried to upload the blink sketch to the attiny I got a bunch of errors(e.g. avrdude: stk500_cmd(): programmer is out of sync, avrdude: stk500_paged_write(): (a) protocol error). I rechecked everything (software, wiring, etc) way too many times just to run into the same problem again and again. Finally, what worked was to distribute grounds to various GND pins on the Arduino board. Now I’m not exactly sure which one did the trick, but anyway everything works flawlessly now. Actually the trick is to drop the baud rate to 9600 in the Arduino ISP program, and also edit the programmers.txt in the arduino > hardware folder.
avrisp.name=AVR ISP
avrisp.communication=serial
avrisp.protocol=stk500v1

avrispmkii.name=AVRISP mkII
avrispmkii.communication=usb
avrispmkii.protocol=stk500v2

usbtinyisp.name=USBtinyISP
usbtinyisp.protocol=usbtiny

usbasp.name=USBasp
usbasp.communication=usb
usbasp.protocol=usbasp

parallel.name=Parallel Programmer
parallel.protocol=dapa
parallel.force=true
# parallel.delay=200

arduinoisp.name=Arduino as ISP
arduinoisp.communication=serial
arduinoisp.protocol=stk500v1
arduinoisp.speed=9600

Hope this helps someone out there experiencing the same problem.

Amilo Pro v2030

Alright I finally got Debian installed on the Amilo Pro 2030 laptop. There were a few problems that I managed to solve, like an invisible mouse pointer/cursor and the wireless. So I’d like to share the solutions here:

    Invisible pointer:

edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
add

Section “Device”
Identifier “Configured Video Device”
Option “HWCursor” “off”
Option “SWCursor” “on”

EndSection

    Wireless(with internet access available, e.g. ethernet):

Add the contrib repositories to /etc/apt/sources.list
e.g. deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib

apt-get update
apt-get install b43-fwcutter

Download and setup the firmware when prompted.

Voila. Now get something to manage your connections according to your windows manager, I use wicd with LXDE.

Firefox 3 Beta 5 Not So Resource Friendly Sometimes

It seems I was a little too hasty in giving Firefox 3 Beta 5 as much credit as I did earlier. Ffb5 does work extremely well, untill it doesn’t. As far as I am able to tell, the browser becomes extremely slow at random times often after keeping the browser open for some time, this is a result of a boost in memory usage and cpu load for no apparent reason. Surprisingly this problem does not occur to everyone, I only found a few reports. Nevertheless, this is a very big issue, that didn’t occur in ffb4. Obviously the browser is in beta stage, so whining is out of question. However, I could have recommended ffb4 to those willing to experience the speed improvement with only a few downsides, but I can’t say the same for ffb5. As the release of Firefox 3 draws nearer, I hope this problem gets fixed as soon as possible. I will still keep using ffb5 🙂 Post comments if you are having a similar problem and also if you know what’s causing it.